We finally got to put up the trellis for the tomatoes. We’ve wanted to get them closer to the house for a long time, but first we had to build the house and clear the rubble. That’s taken a few years.
We used abandoned yurt poles for the main supports and washing line, with a couple of hula hoops to make the trellis, because that’s what we had. the dreamcatcher weave is an easy way to make the trellis and it’s eye-catching too.
The boxed in beds have a mix of our own compost, forest mulch and biochar. We have cucumbers and aubergines planted in between and I’ve just sown basil and nasturtiums. Not much to see yet, but they are growing fast and strong.
I’m using indigenous micro-organisms and chicken shit tea for fertilizer.